On January 26th, we will be hosting our first speed-dating event and we need to share some friendly tips that people might forget.
1) Dress casually: there is no need to wear a suit to this event, however, please leave the sweat pants at home. Remember how you present yourself says a lot about you. Dressing in an outfit that is too revealing or one that is too conservative will send off certain cues about your personality to the man you are meeting. Take some time before you approach the speed dating session to consider what you are trying to convey with your appearance. Make sure you are properly groomed and clean, as a more slovenly approach might not be what it takes to ensure a second date. However, do not feel the need to put on false airs for strangers. You are who you are and should be proud to express this.
2) Do a breath check: mints and/or gum will be provided.
3) DO NOT GET DRUNK! Have a few to lighten your mood but do not get intoxicated (it is not a good look). We will call a cab and send you home.
4) Don’t monopolize the time and only talk about yourself, but share the time equally.
5) Don’t show your scorecard to the opposite sex.
6) DO NOT use your phone: it is impolite and disrespectful.
7) Introduce yourself to the other person: do not start the conversation by asking questions; get to know each other a little. (“Tell me about yourself” is a good conversation starter)
8) Don’t be that whiner: If you immediately look around, and decide, "There is no-one here for me", or "I should be with the young ones over there", you have already closed your mind to being successful. Keep an open mind, be pleasant, grin, and bear it! Who knows what connections you might make later on as a result!
9) Keep yourself safe: do not reveal a lot of personal information while speed dating. At this stage, no one needs to know where you live, where you work, or your phone number. In time, you can reveal those details. At the end of the evening, you can arrange to swap emails and phone numbers with the men who interest you enough for a second and longer conversation. Even if you think you have met Mr. Wonderful at a speed-dating event and want to follow-up with a real date on the town, you should stick to public places, let a trusted friend know where you are going and when you expect to be home, and carry your cell phone. Date smart and you will be dating safe.